Avi Freedman's Home Page
(newer avi, older avi+gail, avi+"QL" brodie, old netaxs/mark thomas)
Jun 10 "Bubba singing to Zehda", the week before they both pased away.
Apr 06 "Woman of Valor", posted in honor of my mother.
Aug 05 Started a collection of funny ISP stories
Jun/Jul 05 Played some poker at the World Series and the Ultimate Poker
Challenge. Came in 12th in the Pot Limit Omaha Rebuy
tournament, but they only paid 9 :(
Apr 05 My mother died in a tragic accident Tuesday night
4/5/05. We remember her and try to be better people in her honor.
Oct 04 A poker update of my poker travels
May 04 Here is a what-to-look-for-in-sushi page I am working on.
May 04 Netaxs Wyndmoor photo and MFS POP movie
What I'm up to...
- CTO for ServerCentral:
Adding Cloud/on-demand services to the ServerCentral portfolio.
- Working with readnews.com:
Usenet outsourcing for Geeks, ISPs, and other Usenet providers
- Martial Arts at Chang's School of Martial Arts in King of Prussia, PA and schools in the Reston, VA area
- Advise Jacquette Consulting, a leading consulting company on the east coast that develops custom Documentum-based solutions, among other things
- Playing poker every so often (see my poker log here):
Spending a few weeks a year at the World Series of Poker. Not as much travel for poker as 2004-2007 but still some. You can find a Youtube clip or two from some televised cash game.
- Atkins Diet - as you can see, with mild exercise + strict Atkins, I've lost quite a bit of weight.
- Playing with gadgets to enhance my connectivity. Currently, the new 17" MBP, Sony Vaio P, Blackberry Bold, G1, Sidekick, and multiple cell modems are usually in my bag. Best gadget acquisition of the year is either the MBP or the $40 clippers I had to go to a beauty supply store to find.
- BGP and Network Consulting: Network audit; Security training; Growth planning; General advice
- I split my time between Philadelphia, the DC area, Chicago, and various other mostly-work travel.
What I used to do
I am no longer with Netaxs, the Philadelphia-area ISP I started in 1992, though I still say hello over there sometimes.
Before coming to Akamai in Oct 98, I was VP of Engineering at AboveNet from late 1998 to late 1999.
Before that, I started Netaxs in 1992, I hosted a number of of MUDs on my machine (bigboy.cis.temple.edu) and provided a safe Unix haven on my personal boxes for Temple students looking to escape the tyranny of VMS and Pascal.
Press & Pictures
A picture from a Forbes article, mostly about netaxs, from Dec 1995.
And the article (poorly formatted copy).
And an except from his December 1996 article.
Security Architecture Rant in ACM Queue on the weakness of firewalls
An old Multi-Homing FAQ I wrote.
A newer Multi-Homing FAQ I wrote.
PPTs from NANOG/ISPCON/etc:
Choosing an upstream provider
How to Multi-Home
Engineering robust routers
Stopping The Flood
Your Own Address Space
Multi-Homing With and Without BGP4
Where We Are In The "Routing Columns" Series
Ethel the Aardvark Goes BGP Routing
Usenet New Servers - the Simple Version
Configuring a Cisco Router, Part 1 - Background
Web Proxy Caches and Satellite-Based Bandwidth Augmentation
Satellite-Based Bandwidth Augmentation
IP Space Update, Free News Feeds, More on News, Basic IP Filtering
DNS Servers and Provider - Independent Address Space
In Memoriam: George, Danny, Abha
Where to find me
The Web Wayback machine
HPA Twin Turbo R32s
Sony Vaio P
Selling: Various Windows laptops (X300, Inspiron 6400/6500, any old pre-netbook ultraportable you can think of)
Sold: M3, M5, many old unworthy ibooks/MBPs, various other laptops
for auto-unpacking those awful MIME attachments.
Wonderful for elm/pine/mutt users.